Tuesday 11 October 2011

Happy Anniversary...Happy Thanksgiving...just happy

Despite my explaining how stressed I have been, some of my loyal readers have actually been putting pressure on me when my updates are a little tardy...tsk tsk! So, with apologies to those who will remain nameless, here we go again...

Last Tuesday morning, as directed, we presented ourselves to the Canadian Border Services Agency in downtown Nanaimo to meet the moving company driver, Ron, to clear our goods. We were there early so decided to go in and start the process. We got quite the grilling that's for sure along with admonitions that we weren't to sell any of our goods for twelve months or use anything for profit. Hand on heart, we so swore! We knew how much care we had taken with cleaning and packing (and so does half our neighbourhood). With the karcher, hot water, bleach and an array of cleaning products, everything having any connection with the outdoors was scrubbed to within an inch of its life. Anyway, all good and we were on our way.

Only in downtown Nanaimo could a 73 foot long rig be parked in the main street in front of the main Canadian government office building. Fortunately the parking inspector must have been working elsewhere at the time as they are very diligent at doing their job - we were spoken to severely the week before when we stopped for 2 minutes downtown in a no stopping zone to load something.

We were concerned at where the moving truck would park in order to unload at our house. We didn't say anything as we figure it is their job to ask us and they didn't. Ron didn't blink. He parked that thing right up close to the "curb", put a few warning cones out and turned his flashers on. He encroached onto the road a bit but all day from 11am to 11pm, cars, buses and trucks whizzed by barely slowing down. I think they must be used to it. We decided that if the movers weren't worried, why were we? It meant that every item from the truck (three-quarters was our stuff) had to be brought up our somewhat steep driveway, and then half of that taken upstairs.




Ron & Jason (still smiling) at the end of a very long day!
Ron's offsider, Jason, worked tirelessly all day doing the unloading while Ron stayed dry in the garage wielding the knife and unwrapping everything that was bubble-wrapped - all the while regaling us with stories, opinions, etc. I tried to count the items to make sure everything arrived (a tough job) and at the same time kept the garage free of stuff by folding and stashing the bubble wrap into big cardboard boxes. Ron told me I'd saved him at least 2 hours by doing that! Didn't give us a discount though. Brian helped by unpacking all of the garage boxes and putting most of it away.

Ron told us many times during the day that part of their service was to unpack the boxes, despite my saying that I didn't think they would have time and there weren't enough spots to put things yet anyway. He was determined though and did unpack the kitchen boxes - finally quit at about 10.45pm when I told him enough was enough!

The following day we were so exhausted we barely did anything...at least I didn't. Brian managed yet another visit from the fireplace guys - this time, with his supervision and ingenuity, they managed to get it successfully installed. It works beautifully so was well worth the wait.
Yeah, a working fireplace!
That evening we had been advised of a Community Vision Rally taking place downtown and had bought tickets. Even though it was the last thing we really wanted to do that day, we spruced ourselves up and went - it was an inspiring evening with the keynote presenter being the Mayor of Whistler (location of the last Winter Olympics). We didn't stay for the second half of the evening as by then we had totally run out of steam. I'm sure we will be involved in the future.

Thursday arrived with both of us feeling a bit more normal and ready to tackle the mounds of boxes everywhere. Heidi and Antoine had deferred their trip to next week so it meant we had a good run at unpacking without having to stop - by the time they get here we will be more organized and be happy to be tour guides. Thanksgiving passed quite uneventfully, no turkey dinner in sight, but with us feeling more on top of things.
Brian & the fireplace both playing peek-a-boo.
A well deserved rest after a job well done.
*Note: Styling of the mantle yet to be completed.
Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend was our 17th wedding anniversary - also spent uneventfully which was quite fine. We had plans to go out to dinner but when the time came, were just as happy to stay in and have grilled cheese sandwiches. We have had a wonderful life together so far - love you Brian! xxx

The candlesticks we bought in Jasper on our honeymoon.
As I tackled the 50 or so boxes which mostly comprised sewing items (yikes), I came to the realization that:

a) I am very sentimental, and
b) I must have been a bower bird in my past life as I am attracted to little shiny colourful things and love to bring them home!

But, they all have a place in my home...

I am besotted with my new sewing room, the biggest ever - it is very large and is sort of half den/half sewing room.
My sewing room/den - I am absolutely besotted!
It's a big open area at the end of the family room.
Still some work to do finding spots for things - and then the machine finally gets switched on.
Sunday was a gorgeous day so it was time to take a run at the very long grass which had grown quite vigorously since we moved in. Also did a bit of trimming here and there of some of the bushes and shrubs. Took many hours but we finally had the place looking more like us.



My back is sore, my feet ache and I'm sure I can feel every muscle in my body these days...but that's a good thing right?

So, here we are on the downside of Thanksgiving, in the run up to Halloween, and we can finally start really setting down roots in our new town and new home. We feel quite blessed and were very "thankful" that everything (well, almost everything - most of Brian's drills, chargers & accessories have gone awol) actually arrived and was mostly undamaged. I'm feeling so happy, I might just carve a pumpkin for Halloween!

As I post this post, from the kitchen window I can see the ferry leaving for the mainland - it looks so beautiful with the dark stormy sky and the sun setting on it...all viewed through the lovely red leaves of our little Japanese maple tree out the front (which in a few short weeks will be naked and not so picturesque). Thought you might like to see it.


1 comment:

  1. Great read...checked last night to see how things were going, needless to say your home looks amazing! Your house has turned into a home...love the autumn view.

    ReplyDelete